Review: Getting His Man (Getting His Man #1) by B.G. Thomas

A love story worthy of an old movie… with a new twist.

Artie needs a hero, a man like those he’s always revered in Golden Age films. His drug-dealing jerk of a roommate got him arrested, and since his savior isn’t likely to sweep in and save the day, Artie calls a bail bondsman.

August has always imagined himself a hero from a black-and-white movie, but he’s never found a man willing to let him play that role—at least not until he gets the call from Artie.

Both of their dreams might come true, but not before August must use his skills as a bounty hunter as well as a bondsman. Artie is on the run for his life, and August must protect him and help him clear his name. Only then can they both finally get their man.


Oh my goodness, I loved this.

This book is full of old Hollywood movie goodness and read exactly like the movies I used to watch over and over again with my dad. If you love old movies where the rough and tough guy falls for the slip of a girl, you are going to love August and Artie.

Like something out of the old black-and-white romantic movies he liked to watch with his mother. It was romantic is what it was. Marvelously, wonderfully romantic.

When Arthur Bailey innocently eats a medicinal brownie from his pothead dealing roommate Willie, things go bad. Artie gets arrested and charged with something he didn’t do and needs to get bailed out of jail. The bail money will wipe him out of every penny he’s saved to move into his own place to escape the speed metal and cloud of marijuana floating in his shared apartment but what’s a guy to do?

When August is sent to bail Artie out, he gets more than just a case file. From the first look at Artie, August is lost in those big doe like eyes and feels the pull to protect this young man. When August realizes how stoned Artie still is from the brownies, he takes it upon himself to be the one to get Artie through this, no matter what.

Quick note: Now I say young but really August and Artie have less than 10yr age span between them, so young is used really in regards to how Artie looks because while he’s 24, he looks barely legal.

Anyway.

Told from the Dual POV of our leading men, we get to know them through their actions and inner dialogue. Both men have a strong love for classic romantic movies and leading men who are exactly their type. On first site, Artie fits August physically and emotionally. All August wants is a man to love and to take care of. To be that light and strength his man can depend on and protect his lover even if that means taking a bullet for him. August wants to be someone’s hero in every way. Artie wants the strong leading man to swing him around the dance floor while dancing his way into his heart. He wants the most romantic scenario to happen in his life.

I watched those old movies with my mom and my sister while I was growing up, and they shaped what I want in love. I want the stars. I want a happy ending.

August Sterling… I mean. That name alone is swoon worthy and August has that classic old school Golden Age of Hollywood Leading man vibe to him. Regardless of the character he could be playing, August has being a gentleman down to finest detail and the way he feels about Artie from the first look made me grin and I never stopped smiling. This book follows the formula of the classic romance movies so perfectly that I could see this translated to film. It helps to have all the movies the men like mentioned in the story along with the leading men they admired. If you haven’t seen any of the ones highlighted in the book, do yourself a favor and check a few out. You won’t be disappointed.

Now Artie, and surely he was an Artie. Never an Arthur, is downright adorable. Gosh, I love that he is doing everything he can to be an independent man but being so trusting, he trusted the wrong person and now has been arrested and has to go to court. When August comes to his rescue, it’s like all of Artie’s romantic movie wants have come true because August is Sam Spade, James Bond and Fred Astaire all rolled into one charming package from is dark hair to his sexy feet.

The way Artie sees August is the quintessential romantic hero with all the suave and debonair moves that come naturally to August and sweep Artie off his feet. I can say my feet felt a bit floaty as well while reading because August is swoony.

I love the old school Hollywood vibe of this book! I keep saying that because the story bleeds the essence of those movies. The big strong man of the "law" rescuing the innocent but gorgeous girl, *ahem* boy, in need and falling for them. Yup totally up my ginger alley.

Where was I with this? Goodness I got lost in my own head.

So, August wants to take care of Artie and Artie wants August to take care of him but they play this slow burn slow dance and try to keep things professional between them. But when the bad guys with the drugs and Artie’s roommate start tossing around threats, Artie takes it upon himself to be the martyr of his happiness and do what he thinks is right. He just forgot one small thing, August isn’t just a bail bondsman, he’s a bounty hunter and he knows how to track and find what he wants.

[...]Bailing people out? That’s just a few hours of my week. Getting my man is what I live for.
Oh boy. This got all up in your face hero/rescue/sexy times that had me blushing at my desk while I read. What August does to Artie, what August teaches Artie and what he asks of Artie was so sensual I think I almost melted right off my chair. I loved how every time Artie questioned himself or tried to do what he thought was right, August had to get his man and show him… everything.

Wow. Rambling Red needs to wrap this up, ya think?

This was another winner in the Dreasmspun Desires series. Artie and August stole my heart as they formed a bond over their shared interests, over protecting each other and as they fell in love and got everything the movies they watched promised. Their own Happily Ever After.



An ARC was provided.


No comments:

Post a Comment