Review: Shards in the Sun (The Heart of Texas #1) by Trina Lane

The heart of Texas beats strong, fuelled by the love between two men whose lives are interwoven like the long grass of the hill country they call home.

Brandon Blackstun has spent the last decade moving on from the hellish halls of high school. With an invitation to his reunion in hand, he plans to show his former classmates that not only did the repeated occurrences of being slammed into lockers not cause brain damage, but he’s now a successful cover artist for the very books they buy off the shelves.

Tyler Synder was determined to not follow in his father’s footsteps as head of the International Corporation that bears the family name. Instead his heart is tied to the beat of his horses’ thundering hooves. He operates a breeding program for Tennessee Walkers and guest ranch a couple of hours from the urban luxury of Dallas where he was raised.

The two men might live very different lives, but the heat between them is hotter than any Texas sun. With the help—or meddling—of an unlikely pair of friends, the two explore a relationship that stirs something deep inside them. Distance and misunderstandings force Tyler and Brandon to consider whether the fulfilment they’ve experienced in each other’s arms is worth the sacrifice of the lives they’d built individually.

Texas may be the second biggest state in the union, but is it large enough to embrace the love between these two men or will their deeply hidden fears shatter the boundaries of their hearts?


Sometimes a book doesn’t work for you. This was one of those books for me.

Let’s see if I can keep this short?

We start out decent with Brandon attending his high school reunion with his BFF Jess and I was cringing with him. I haven’t attended any of my reunions because high school was crap for me but I get Brandon wanting to go back and show that he’s made something of himself. At his reunion, or rather at the bar before, he eyes a hottie cowboy that goes nowhere because he sucks at flirting and then we meet Javier, the dude who shoved Brandon’s head into lockers, who is now out of the closet. Javier seems to want to make amends with Brandon but… I NEVER liked Javier, is was slimy and just not someone I cared about and lucky me, got more of him in the book. Ugh.

When Brandon is out to dinner as friends with Javier, he sees hottie cowboy again and hottie cowboy, aka Tyler, happens to be Javier’s ex-boyfriend and drama happens. I am totally okay with the ex-boyfriend deal but um, why the hell did I need to know about Javier and his kinks when it has nothing to do with Brandon and Tyler???

Anyway. The drama with Javier and Tyler makes Brandon run away from Tyler but then they decide to give this “connection” a go even though they live 2 hrs away from one another. Blah blah blah…

I never felt the connection or chemistry with Brandon and Tyler and while each man should be interesting, they weren’t. Brandon works at a library but not a librarian and designs book covers in his spare time. That was kinda interesting but it fell off the page quick and Tyler is an honest to goodness cowboy but the pages and pages on his ranch were full of info dropping that I got bored and could care less. Together? Well, they weren’t too exciting together either. They were just so bland.

The dirty talk should have been hot, the sex, it should have been really hot but I skimmed the majority of it. It felt mechanical and stunted that I lost interest during foreplay.

Good lord. This was just, well… boring to me. It took me days to get through it and I kept finding other things to read, watch or do but read this.

I cannot believe the end and who I think will be the MC of the next book… just nope. No thanks.



Find on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment