Audiobook Review: Little Wolf (Beings in Love #4) by R. Cooper

On the run from his old-blood werewolf family, Tim Dirus finds himself in Wolf's Paw, one of the last surviving refuges from the days when werewolves were hunted by humans and one of the last places Tim wants to be. Kept away from other wolves by his uncle, Tim knows almost nothing about his own kind except that alpha werewolves only want to control and dominate a scrawny wolf like him.

Tim isn’t in Wolf’s Paw an hour before he draws the attention of Sheriff Nathaniel Neri, the alphaest alpha in a town full of alphas. Powerful, intimidating, and the most beautiful wolf Tim has ever seen, Nathaniel makes Tim feel safe for reasons Tim doesn’t understand. For five years he’s lived on the run, in fear of his family and other wolves. Everything about Wolf’s Paw is contrary to what he thought he knew, and he is terrified. Fearing his mate will run, Sheriff Nathaniel must calm his little wolf and show him he’s more than a match for this big, bad alpha.

Listening Length: 18 hours and 54 minutes
Narrator: Robert Nieman



This audiobook is almost 19 hours long. 19. Hours. And unfortunately, it feels like it.

I loved the idea of this one. I’m a big fan of R. Cooper. I’ve only listened to one other narration by Robert Nieman, Amy Lane’s Clearwater, and I really enjoyed it. I love his narrator’s voice.

But Little Wolf was really just too long. It could have easily been half as long and for me it would have worked better. There were SO many repetitive conversations and while I love the narrator’s voice it was the only voice that was used in this one. So, extremely long and repetitive conversations all in the same voice; the back and forth was completely lost to me repeatedly. I mentally clocked out way too many times and I never lost out on any information.

The whole premise of the story is that Tim needs to figure out his shit. Fair enough, that can be really good stuff. Tim had a lot of figuring out to do, he’s been sequestered away his whole childhood so he had no clue how Were society worked. His frustration came out as sarcasm and more than once he said he knew he could be a real asshole. He was right. Then there’s Nathaniel who is just so damned good and delicious, I could absolutely understand why Tim had the boners for him, I just didn’t get the other way around. Tim had his moments of clarity and selflessness, but I needed more to make him worthy of Nathaniel for me.

Tim’s whole plan is to bail out of town as soon as his Uncle tracks him down, so the inevitable exit comes up a lot. He’s in love with Nathaniel and Nathaniel is in love with him and every human, Were, animal, vegetable and mineral knows that Nathaniel and Tim are mates. But, NO ONE lets Tim in on this little, and by little I mean HUGE, secret. He was supposed to figure it out on his own. But Tim is stubborn so he doesn’t figure it out and I could see no good reason for other characters not to fill him in on how the mate thing worked. The whole time everyone, especially Nathaniel, kept saying they would help him learn their culture. I really don’t get how keeping him in the dark was supposed to be helpful. It just made him more frustrated and made he and Nathaniel all fussy because of the UST.

I’m not a huge fan of miscommunication or lack of communication as a plot device and this was lack of communication taken to a Defcon level.

Honestly, if this one had been edited down and then some better communication between characters it would have been so much better because the bones of the story and the characters themselves were really good. There was too much ‘sameness’ in the narration to make the lengthy conversations work in an audiobook.

The last hour helped, there was finally some communication and some admissions. I would have loved them to have come along hours earlier. 19 hours of miscommunication/lack of communication are about 18 hours too many for my ears. I’ll definitely read more R. Cooper and definitely listen to more Robert Nieman, the combo for Little Wolf just wasn’t for me unfortunately.

For more information on Little Wolf, check it out on Dreamspinner Press.


**a copy of this audiobook was provided for an honest review**

No comments:

Post a Comment