Review: Broken Alpha & Devoted Alpha (The Alpha/Omega Verse #1-2) by DC Juris

Any Alpha/Omega readers out there? 

 
Yeah, we thought there might be a few. Check out Chelsea's double reviews of D.C. Juris's Alpha/Omega Verse!


Book #1 - Broken Alpha

Captain Korden Encarit of the North Star thought he'd lost the most important person in the universe to him - his brother and lover, Rennett.

A year later, Rennett has been found alive, a captive on a hostile planet. Only when their sibling link reactivates does Korden realize how bad the damage is: stripped of his mental strength, Rennett is now a Broken Alpha.

With the help of his friends - ship's Malorcian healer, Sokel, and his fiery Human mate, Sebastian - Korden must try and heal his brother's mind and help him adjust to his new status as omega. But Rennett needs a mate, and it quickly becomes clear that no one is willing.

Will Korden give up everything he has worked for - his career, his ship - buck Presidian tradition, and risk the scorn of their father to save his brother?



This series caught my eye for a lot of reasons, one it has alpha and omegas (so yum!) and then it has two of my favourite naughty sub-genres, incest and Daddy kink!! YES! I mean there is no way I could pass up on a series with both of those making an appearance!!




I don’t know what I was expecting but both books surprised me a lot, did I enjoy them?… yes I actually really really did.

This is a story about aliens. Aliens who have alpha and omega status, both characteristics similar to typical alpha and omegas, but if you're expecting fur and knotting you won't find it here. Kordan and Rennett are brothers, alphas and lovers. Rennett went on a mission nearing a year ago and never came back, Kordan assumed he had died. When our story starts Kordan is given information by Sokel and Sebastian (Kordans best friends and mated pair) that Rennett has been held prisoner and tortured for the time he has been missing. Of course Kordan goes and rescues him, but the severe mental torture that was inflicted changed Rennett from an alpha status to omega.

Before going into this you have to know that all four of these characters are main characters, each have equal page time and most have a chapter or so in their POV.

This story had great characters and a very interesting world, unfortunately I felt that they weren’t explored or explained as well as they could’ve been. We didn’t get to know much about Kordan’s or Sokel’s alien species, we weren’t even given many details about what they look like, just some small insignificant facts like, their blood is yellow. That being said, it didn’t make me feel like I knew these men any less. The feelings and experiences that Kordan and Rennett go through are very well written and I definitely felt connected to them. Some more background information on Rennett and Kordan’s relationship before the kidnapping or how Sokel and Sebastian became mated would’ve been nice. The universe also wasn’t very detailed, there was enough to make the story work, but nothing compared to other alien stories I’ve read.

There were also a few things that tied up too neatly or quickly for my liking. One prime example is, Kordan and Rennett’s father never knew about them being lovers and it's mentioned that it'd be a big scandal if he ever found out. Yet nothing is mentioned about the confrontation other than an off-page conversation Kordan has with him. There’s no fall out, or no acknowledgment that their dad approved, just nothing.

OK getting back on track to the things I liked. I really really liked the closeness between all these men. Their friendship and need for each other is so tangible throughout the writing that I adored the scenes when they needed to comfort each other. Sokel and Kordan’s banter was delightful and Sebastian (being the only human) brought some humour to the story. The premise behind the mind link (that everyone can lock into it) was fascinating and probably one of the few things that was thoroughly explained.

Then there's the heat scene….oh holy moly that was sooooo goooood. I’d read this book just to get to that desperate, clawing, filling, sweaty marathon of hot brocest sex. It was good.

Don’t shoot me but I definitely picked this up for the brocest, which didn’t end up being a main part of this book. Yes it was there and it was hot, but this focused much more on Rennett’s recovery and adaption to becoming an omega and the friendship between the four men. So no, it wasn’t what I was expecting, but I loved the tender moments and the connections present, even if things could’ve been more fledged out.

Check out Broken Alpha on Goodreads!

Book #2 - Devoted Alpha

Sokel and Sebastian from "Broken Alpha" are back. Sokel has long known his Human mate has harbored certain hidden fantasies and desires, but he's not the kind of Alpha to demand anything of his omega. One night, a whispered word slips past Sebastian's lips -- daddy. Ever the devoted Alpha, Sokel sets out to help his mate understand that these cravings don't make him a deviant. But when Sokel visits a fellow healer in an attempt to please his mate, has he gone too far? And will their best friends and housemates, Korden and Rennett, be able to accept this new twist to their lifestyle?








Phew….this is what I call age-play, but not for the faint hearted. This has got infantilism, age-play and a feeding fetish. A lot of people will be uncomfortable with this, so if this quote freaks you out, stay clear.


“You feel so good, baby boy. So good in my hand. You’re so hard for me, so hard for your daddy. I love to touch you like this, my baby boy. My Bastian, my baby. Drink your milk while I touch you. That’s good, isn’t it? You like my touch, don’t you, baby boy? You like it when Daddy touches you?”


Ok so you’ve been warned. Honestly I love age-play, but even I got a big squeamish while reading this...probably because I was equally turned on and appalled at myself.

This book, unlike its predecessor was just about Sokel and Sebastian, Kord and Rennett do make a small appearance at the end, which leads to a pretty hot scene *waggles eyebrows*. Pretty much Sebastian has this kink, and Sokel makes it happen… ending with fairly extreme (but what I found quite delicious) results.

This story could be read as a stand alone, except for the whole understanding of the universe. The mind-link and omega/alpha status’ aren’t really explained in this book and while it's not necessary to enjoy the age-play, understanding them would make a few sentences less confusing. It really is just a lot of kinky scenes.

I obviously liked it and if you like age-play, you’ll like it too, but don’t expect much more than some kink in this short story.

Check out Devoted Alpha on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment