Group Review: The Winter Spirit by Indra Vaughn

Nathaniel O’Donnelly likes his life quiet, his guests happy, and his ghosts well-behaved.

Although a boyfriend wouldn’t go amiss. Someone to share his beautiful B&B with, even if it is in the middle of nowhere and he’s long past the wrong side of thirty. Problem is, Nathaniel's living with a ghost who thinks he’s cupid, and whose arrows fly a little too straight.

Gabriel Wickfield had the unfortunate luck of dying before his time, and now he’s stuck trying to make romance happen to earn his right to move along. Not that he’s bored in the meantime--Nathaniel is just too easy to tease. And also a little bit scrumptious…

With the curse reaching its expiration date, Gabriel needs to make this final match this Christmas. Without it, nothing but darkness awaits.

Love can conquer all, but can it beat death?





What a great start to the Merry Christmas Jizzfest for 2015. I hated that I started this late on Sunday night, because this is one I would normally devour in one sitting. No fault of the story, it was all me and my stupid need to be coherent at work on Monday morning. Stupid work is stupid.

The story begins with a mellow and rather quiet pace and I liked having the chance to get to know all the characters, Nathaniel especially. He really struck me and I appreciated his mellow, albeit somewhat lonely existence. He didn’t have an easy childhood, but he wasn’t one to dwell on what was missing in his life. He was quite the pragmatist and I respected him for his lack of dramatics. I think I’ve been reading too many stories with melodramatic characters and discovering a character like Nathaniel with his quiet strength and realism made me appreciate the skills this author has to make a memorable character.

I’m glad I didn’t read any other reviews before I started the book, because I really wasn’t sure which direction this was going to go and for the first half, any direction would have been believable. As the story progresses, the different relationships start to have some more clarity and my stress level increased big time! This is where stories with charming ghosts get me all worked up. Can the author pull this off and make me buy it? Is our MC going to end up with the mortal man who’s “available” (and I use that term loosely)? Is there going to be the HEA I WANT?? *sigh*

I loved the ending and the author gave me what I wanted. She stressed me the ever –loving—the-fuck-out first but let’s face it, that’s part of the fun of a great ghost story. Winter Spirit has everything I want in story with Christmas magic; romance, tragedy, heartbreak, hope, humor and completely charming characters that I rooted for in every chapter.


 *****


-spoiler-ish-

Nathaniel's B&B was haunted and he really couldn't have had a cuter ghost.

What I loved most about this paranormal ghost story is that we come into at after the haunting has been established. Nathaniel knew of Gabriel and his antics all too well.

Gabriel couldn't have been any more likable. Right from the start, he was my guy. Nathaniel can have some of him, but he's mostly mine. His ghostly shenanigans were due to his curse. He was given a time frame and he was to be 'match-maker' and make two people fall in love. If he missed the deadline, he was gone for good.

While Nathaniel knew of and was comfortable around Gabriel, he didn't really know him at all. His curiosity got the best of him and wanted to get to know Gabriel. They talked, hung out together, and were just all around full of cute. I really enjoyed their sweet romance.

I do think there was a little bit too much time spent on Nathaniel and Owen *gag* and there were some unanswered questions surrounding the paranormal aspects of the story. But for me, it was more about the LURVE. I don't really care how it happened, just that they're together with a big, fat HEA bow.


*****

***This too is spoilerish***

It is spoilerish because when I started reading I had no clue who was going to steal Nathaniel's heart, but it's pretty obvious from my review who does!

So I started my devouration (I know, I know but making up new words is cool) of Christmas stories in November this year. I usually try and wait until December but... have you seen the selection available? Christmas Spirit by Indra Vaughn was one of the first I read and I loved it.

It had everything that I love about Christmas stories... which is basically a cuter than cute, sweet as sweet romance. Plus snow. Nathaniel was a great character... but it was Gabriel who stole my heart. I loved his ghostly self. I loved his mischievous interfering even more!

Owen was an arse, but Gabriel soon sorted that out! I loved Gabriel's back story and that Nathaniel wanted to find out out about his ghost's life. It really is just the kind of gooey yummy warm the cockles of your heart read that I love at this time of year. Perfect.

A copy of this book was given in exchange for honest reviews.
For more information see goodreads.


2 comments:

  1. Ok, ghost story backdrop is not really my thing, but with most of the stable backing it, I'm in! Sold.

    ReplyDelete