Review: Dying Wish by Lor Rose

It was an inevitable thing, death.

For some it was closer than others. Some never knew it was coming. If it were up to Logan he'd choose to not know. Unfortunately for him he did know.

Death was close and it was coming for him and he accepted his fate.

He was set to die. Logan even embraced it, finally happy to leave this painful world behind. That is until he met Gyre.

Gyre gave him a sense of life once again. He wanted to stay with Gyre as long as possible but as far as Logan was concerned, his time left wasn't enough.

Or was it?








Alrighty.
This review will contain spoilers.

So I enjoyed this book. Mostly, I wanted to figure out what this book was all about and what the hell was going on. I definitely didn't see the last half of the book coming, that's for sure.
I think the reason I rated this book 3.5/5 is because of the unique plot of the story. There were parts I liked and parts I didn't, but I thought I had to give it a pretty good mark for trying and almost hitting all the marks.

Logan is depressed, has no family, has stomach cancer and just lost pretty much the only person and he loved a year prior to this story taking place.
It's sad, almost too sad. Maybe too much angst? When you load that much angst and depression into a short story like this, it's hard to have a HEA that feels resolved because of the story length. I did like Logan, I felt really sad for his loss. His partner died a year prior and his heartache is actually conveyed quite well. Maybe a little more 'telling' than 'showing' happening in this story, but that's okay with me.

So this story is a kind of paranormal romance between Logan and Gyre. Gyre is this weirdo stalker who follows poor Logan around in the jungle, basically. Then when Logan is sick he takes care of him and shows him his village. Alright, this is weird, but if there's one thing I pride myself on, it's hard I absolutely do weird. So basically... Gyre turns Logan into a wildcat thing and heals his tummy cancer. It's pretty cute but also very weird. Weird good. The whole 'wildcat' part of the story kind of comes out of no where.. maybe I wish there would've been SOME kind of supernatural reference earlier in the story? I don't know. Just thinking out load.
Anyway, their romance was fairly believable. I get the raw chemistry thing and the weirdness of Gyre and his allure.

Few things bothered me in this story but nothing that a few good edits couldn't fix!


EXCEPT... this one thing. If I got this wrong, which I don't think I have, my bad and please ignore this. So Logan's boyfriend, Daniel, died and I quote: "It was a day past the one year anniversary of Daniel's death." 
Okay so he's been dead 366 days. Got it. Then Logan references his dog that he loved that also died and I quote, "Lilly died two years ago of liver failure. She was the last thing keep him going; now he had nothing..."
So... If Daniel died a year ago, basically, and his dog died two years ago... why was Lilly the only thing keeping him going? Because wouldn't Daniel have been the one keeping him going for the year since the dog's death..? Because Daniel's death was sudden so it's not like they expected it for a long time and the dog was holding Logan together.
I think what Lor Rose was trying to say was that the dog lived longer and was with Logan through Daniel's death but then the dog died... I think that's the message? But it's unclear.
I think this is a timeline problem that should definitely be fixed.

Few other small things that bugged me but I feel the need to mention because 3.5/5 is still a good review from me, believe you me.
"...from severe Separation Anxiety from his own home." I don't think separation anxiety needed to be capitalized.

'"He said nothing, only waited for Logan to take his hand. "We are here."
Logan exhaled and only barely managed to retain his ever unholy thank-you-fucking-Jesus. He eyed Gyre's out-stretched hand with a quirked eyebrow."
 The sentence states that he (Gyre) says nothing but then in the next sentence he says, "We are here." That should be changed me thinks.

And then there was the mention of Wal-Mart twice, one spelled 'Walmart' and one 'WalMart'. I'm not trying to be an asshole about a hyphen but it should at least be consistent in boths ways of capitalization! :)

I hope this review didn't sound too bitchy because it wasn't meant to be. I honestly think with a good, thorough edit or two this story would be real great and definitely do it's unique plot a little more justice. Again, 3.5/5 for me is actually a good review but there are some things I just can't overlook!

I would recommend this book to someone else. In fact, if the author ever does decide to go through the story again with a thorough edit, I'd probably even reread it.

No comments:

Post a Comment